Today I am excited to reveal the 2023 Fellows for the Sulzberger Executive Leadership Program at Columbia Journalism School!
They have been invited to be Sulzberger Fellows because we believe they have the ability to shape the future of journalism and, therefore, the future of democracy - plain and simple. The journalism industry is under threat - politically, culturally, and economically. Now, more than ever, we need leaders who can guide journalism to a robust and sustainable future. We believe that these fellows will be those leaders.
Here are the 2023 Sulzberger Fellows:
- Sumi Aggarwal - Editor in Chief, Start-Up TBD
- Kari Anderson - Senior Vice President for Audience & Community, Vermont Public
- Leonor Ayala Polley - Chief Business Development & Partnerships Officer, URL Media
- Julie Bloom - Editor of the Live Team, The New York Times
- Patrick Boehler - Head of Digital Strategy, Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty
- Gilbert Cruz - Editor of The New York Times Book Review, The New York Times
- Johanna Derlega - Chief Revenue Officer, The 19th
- Deborah D. Douglas - Co-Editor in Chief, The Emancipator (Google News Initiative Scholarship)
- Jeremy Druker - Executive Director, Transitions
- Taunya English - Senior Editor, Broadcast Innovation, KHN (Google News Initiative Scholarship)
- Joanne Griffith - Chief Content Officer, APM Studios / American Public Media
- Gabrielle Jones - Vice President of Content, Louisville Public Media (Google News Initiative Scholarship)
- Nicole Lewis - Engagement Editor, The Marshall Project (Google News Initiative Scholarship)
- Joseph Lichterman - Communication & Editorial Director, The Lenfest Institute for Journalism
- Amanda Mountain - President and CEO, Rocky Mountain Public Media
- Sarah Muller - Deputy Managing Editor for Europe, Middle East, and Africa, Bloomberg
- John Ness - VP of Content, SB Nation / Vox Media
- Rebecca Norris - Executive Director, Audience Insights, The New York Times
- Désirée Pomper - Deputy Editor in Chief (and Editor in Chief designate), 20 Minuten, TX Group
- Monica Richardson - Executive Editor, Miami Herald / El Nuevo Herald & McClatchy Florida Regional Editor, McClatchy Co. (Google News Initiative Scholarship)
- Shigeru Seno - Editor in Chief of Nikkei Americas, NIKKEI
- Alexa Sonnenfeld - Chief of Staff to the Newsroom, Los Angeles Times
- Ki Sung - Managing Editor, Digital News, KQED
- Jordan Vita - Product Lead, Storytelling, The New York Times
- Daniel Waldmeier - Member of the Editorial Board, 20 Minuten, TX Group
Each of these fellows will use the 21 weeks of the program to accelerate a strategic project for their organization. Let’s meet each 2023 Sulzberger Fellow and learn more about their projects:
I am excited to assemble such an accomplished group of leaders in journalism and honored to begin this journey with them to implement these strategic projects. They will begin on January 2 with two intensive weeks at Columbia Journalism School. They will then be supported virtually as they accelerate their projects over 18 weeks back at their organizations before returning for a final week at Columbia on May 22. I can’t wait to see how the intentional serendipity of bringing together these innovators will impact these leaders, their organizations, and the journalism industry as a whole.
Do you want to support your top leaders to accelerate your media organization's most important strategic projects? Reach out to me at email@example.com. Do you want to be a Sulzberger Fellow? Sign up for the mailing list to be the first to know when applications for the next cohort open.