Update: Thanks for your interest! These roles have now been filled.
In the last six months we have expanded Matter from SF to NYC and we are on the verge of completing our first ever bicoastal accelerator program. Now, we are growing our Program and Investments team that will run our venture capital investments and accelerator programs in SF and NYC for the foreseeable future.
We are hiring two full-time NYC Associates (or, depending on experience, one full-time NYC Director and one full-time NYC Associate) to build and run our NYC Accelerator Program. We are also hiring one full-time SF Associate to join the team running the SF Accelerator Program.
As a leader on our Program and Investments team at Matter, you will find the world’s best early-stage media entrepreneurs, make decisions about which teams to invest in, and support them through our 20-week interwoven accelerator program in San Francisco and New York City. You will constantly reinforce our culture of experimentation while teaching and coaching entrepreneurs from our growing portfolio of over 49 companies using our design thinking-based methodology. Apply now.
This is an excellent opportunity to immerse yourself in venture capital, design thinking, early-stage entrepreneurship, and media innovation. By joining our small, growing team you’ll have a back stage pass to a startup accelerator The New York Times is proud to partner with. The timing couldn’t be better to make an impact.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Accelerator Program — Co-lead, manage, and constantly improve Matter’s 20-week startup accelerator program. Teach and coach design thinking process as applied to early stage entrepreneurship under the mentorship of the Managing Partner and in collaboration with other Associates. Mentor Matter entrepreneurs and connect them to the right people and resources in our community.
- Investment —Source promising early-stage accelerator and seed companies, read and evaluate applications and pitch decks, conduct interviews with entrepreneurs, analyze ventures and make investment recommendations, conduct and manage the due diligence and deal closing processes.
- Portfolio Management— Manage, mentor, and connect Matter’s growing portfolio of 49+ ventures. Collect, monitor, synthesize, and communicate the progress, performance, and needs of portfolio companies.
- Thought Leadership — Develop thought leadership by synthesizing deal flow data and trends, staying on top of industry news and research, conducting interviews with experts and industry leaders, contributing to the Matter Medium Collection, and sharing insights via a professional social media presence.
- Ecosystem Development — Proactively grow Matter’s community of entrepreneurs, mentors, investors, and partners by networking, attending events, researching experts, and generally building good karma by helping others in the ecosystem.
- Support and collaborate with the Managing Partner and Matter Team. Other tasks as needed.
Skills & Experience:
- Professional Experience — Must have 5 or more years experience as an early-stage investor, start-up founder, a practitioner of design thinking, or, ideally, a combination of these backgrounds. Previous experience as a coach, mentor, and teacher highly desirable. Demonstrate to us that you have a unique superpower that you can bring to our media start-ups. Having a strong, relevant New York- or San Francisco-based professional network is highly desirable. Experience working on small, collaborative, scrappy teams in a fast-moving environment. Undergraduate degree required. Masters degree, such as an MBA, is a plus.
- Skills — Experience coaching and mentoring startups. Must have ability to teach and coach user-centered, prototype-driven design thinking process. Must be able to source and evaluate early stage start-up investment opportunities. Inspiring public speaker with strong stage presence. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including writing investment memos, blog posts, and emails, making and presenting decks using Keynote, and interacting with key stakeholders such as entrepreneurs, investors, and executives. Tech savvy.
- Personal Characteristics — Passionate about supporting early-stage media entrepreneurs. Intrinsically motivated to help and coach others. High EQ. Ability to inspire. Excited to apply a human-centered, prototype-driven approach to helping build Matter. Creative problem-solver with entrepreneurial drive and comfort with ambiguity. As with all positions at Matter, no job below you and no job above you. Hungry to always be learning. Scrappy.
Salary and Title based on experience and qualifications. These investor roles include Salary + Performance Bonus + Carry. We offer a competitive benefits package including health care, dental, vision, 401K with a 4% employer match, commuter benefits, and other perks.
All Program and Investment team members work full-time out of our offices in San Francisco or NYC. Some night and weekend work required. Occasional travel required.
Excited to join our team? We’d love to hear from you.
Part I — Fill out our Applicant Information Form right now.
Part II — Compose a cover letter describing why you are an excellent fit for this position and what superpower you would bring to support and mentor our entrepreneurs. Compile your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample into one pdf named “LastName_ FirstName.pdf” and email it to email@example.com with the subject “Program and Investments Team”.
If you stand out to us we will follow up to learn more. We look forward to meeting you!
Matter supports entrepreneurs building scalable media ventures that create a more informed, connected, and empowered society. We invest seed capital and provide intensive support through our human-centered, prototype-driven start-up accelerators in San Francisco and New York City. Learn more by reading stories from our entrepreneurs, partners, and us and watching our video about the accelerator experience.
Matter is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.