We pulled it off in record time. In just 13 weeks, Matter expanded to New York City, built out a new space on Union Square, and launched our first bi-coastal accelerator class on June 13. We selected 6 NYC-based startups and 6 SF-based startups for our intense 20-week accelerator program that unites design thinking process and early-stage entrepreneurship to build the future of media that matters. Now it’s full steam ahead to our Demo Days, one in each location.
Now that we’re up and running on both coasts, we’re looking to expand our team. We want to bring a full-time NYC Associate on board to run our NYC-based accelerator program alongside Managing Partner Corey Ford and to help us augment our efforts to source, select, and support entrepreneurs building the future of media. Apply now.
This is an excellent opportunity to expand your knowledge of design thinking, early-stage entrepreneurship, media innovation, and venture capital. By joining our small, growing team you’ll have a back stage pass to what Inc. calls one of the hottest startup accelerators in Silicon Valley — now also in New York City.
Under the direct mentorship of the Managing Partner and in collaboration with our San Francisco Associates (meet Pete and Lara), and our NYC Program Coordinator (meet Nikita), the new Matter NYC Associate will work with the SF team to run the Accelerator Program in NYC, help source, select, and support both accelerator and seed companies, and develop investment hypotheses and thought leadership.
The timing couldn’t be better to make an impact.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Accelerator Program — Co-lead, manage, and constantly improve Matter’s 20-week startup accelerator program. Coach and mentor Matter entrepreneurs and connect them to the right people and resources in our community. Learn how to teach and coach design thinking process as applied to early stage entrepreneurship under the mentorship of the Managing Partner.
- Investment — Source, evaluate, select, and close investments in early-stage media ventures for the accelerator program. Investment includes (but is not limited to) sourcing promising early-stage media entrepreneurs for the accelerator program while representing the Matter brand, reading and evaluating applications and pitch decks, conducting initial interviews, participating in semi-finalist and finalist interviews, analyzing ventures and writing investment recommendations, presenting at deal flow meetings, conducting and managing the due diligence process, and managing the deal closing process.
- Thought Leadership — Develop investment hypotheses and thought leadership by synthesizing deal flow data and trends, staying on top of industry news and research, conducting interviews with experts and industry leaders, contributing to the Matter Medium Collection, and sharing insights via a professional social media presence.
- Portfolio Support — Help support, mentor, and connect Matter’s growing portfolio of 36+ ventures. Collect, monitor, synthesize, and communicate the progress, performance, and needs of portfolio companies.
- Ecosystem Development — Proactively grow Matter’s community of entrepreneurs, mentors, investors, and partners by networking, attending events, researching experts, and generally building good karma by helping others in the ecosystem. Expand the Matter ecosystem in NYC.
- Supporting and collaborating with the Managing Partner and Matter Team as needed. Other tasks as needed.
Skills & Experience:
- Professional Experience — Must have professional experience and expertise that would establish the NYC Associate as a helpful and credible mentor to our early-stage media entrepreneurs. This experience can range from being an experienced start-up founder, to leading product design, to teaching and coaching design thinking process, to sourcing and evaluating investments in a previous role in early stage venture capital, to experience leading innovation at a media company. Think about what unique superpower you would bring to our start-ups. Bringing a strong, relevant New York-based professional network is a plus. Experience working on small, collaborative, scrappy teams in a fast-moving environment. Undergraduate degree required. Masters degree, such as an MBA, is a plus but not required.
- Skills — Must be able to source and evaluate early stage start-up investment opportunities. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including writing investment memos, blog posts, and emails, making and presenting decks using Keynote, and interacting with key stakeholders such as entrepreneurs, investors, and executives. Excellent public speaker. Experience coaching and mentoring others. Previous teaching experience a plus. Familiarity with user-centered, prototype-driven design process. Ability to quickly model businesses and size markets in Excel a plus. Tech savvy.
- Personal Characteristics — Passionate about supporting early-stage media entrepreneurs to learn, grow, and achieve their dreams. Intrinsically motivated to help and coach others. High EQ. Ability to inspire. Excited to apply a human-centered, prototype-driven approach to helping build Matter. Creative problem-solver with entrepreneurial drive and comfort with ambiguity. No job below you and no job above you. Hungry to always be learning. Scrappy.
Salary based on experience and qualifications. We offer a competitive benefits package including health care, dental, vision, 401K with a 4% employer match, commuter benefits, and other perks.
This position will work full-time out of our future office in New York City. Some night and weekend work required. Occasional travel required.
Excited to join our team? We’d love to hear from you.
Part I — Fill out our Applicant Information Form right now.
Part II — Compose a cover letter describing why you are an excellent fit for this position and what superpower you would bring to support and mentor our entrepreneurs. Compile your cover letter, resume, a writing sample, and 3 professional references into one pdf named “LastName_ FirstName.pdf” and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “NYC Associate.”
If you stand out to us we will follow up to learn more. We look forward to meeting you!
Originally posted on Medium.