One definition of an entrepreneur is that an entrepreneur acts on opportunity without regard to resources they currently control. Well, I have an opportunity for you to act on — We are hiring at Matter.
We are looking for an Office Manager to join our team and help us continue to deliver extraordinary experiences for entrepreneurs building the future of media through our start-up accelerator and seed fund.
This is an excellent opportunity to be exposed to design thinking, early-stage entrepreneurship, media innovation, and venture capital. By joining our small, growing team you’ll have a back stage pass to what Inc. calls one of the hottest start-up accelerators in Silicon Valley.
But we don’t care about our press. What we care about is creating life-changing learning experiences for our entrepreneurs so that they can grow as leaders, take a big swing at their dreams, and make an impact on the future of media.
We do this by investing in the world’s most promising early-stage media entrepreneurs and supporting them by building a culture of experimentation, guided by a community of mentors, and united by a structured 20-week program that accelerates their learning.
What holds this all together is our space, our program, and our team. And as we begin to scale our operations, we need an Office Manager to become the backbone of these three pillars of Matter.
The Office Manager will manage the Matter innovation space, manage and maintain our internal systems, assist the Associate in coordinating accelerator programming and events, and assist the Managing Partner as needed.
The timing couldn’t be better to make an impact.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Space Management — Manage, maintain, and constantly improve the experience that our entrepreneurs, mentors, partners, and team have in Matter’s 4,000 square foot innovation space. Space management includes (but is not limited to) ensuring the space is ready to go every morning, owning the guest welcome experience, managing our cleaning service (Managed by Q), leading improvements to the space (redesigning our welcome area, researching phone booths, etc.), keeping office and kitchen supplies stocked (InstaCart + Amazon Prime), maintaining an upbeat tempo (Sonos), and ensuring that the Internet stays up, our security stays tight, and our furniture gets fixed.
- Systems Maintenance & Management — Manage, maintain, and constantly improve our internal systems for all administrative, back office, and media processes. Systems Management includes (but is not limited to) documents (Google Drive), calendars (Google Calendar), contact management/CRM (RelateIQ), expense reporting (Tallie), event RSVPs (SplashThat + Eventbrite), photos (Adobe Lightroom + Google Photos), and videos (Vimeo).
- Program Coordination — Assist the Associate as needed in running the Matter Accelerator Program. Program Coordination includes (but is not limited to) assisting the Associate in scheduling and coordinating mentors and speakers, maintaining the program calendar, setting up the space for programming, capturing photos and video of programming (such as our speaker series), and managing logistics of events such as design reviews, happy hours, dinners, retreats, and advisory board meetings.
- Events Management — Assist the Associate in pulling off extraordinary Demo Day events in SF and NYC twice a year. This is the culmination of the Matter accelerator program where we bring together leaders in media, entrepreneurship, and venture capital to hear the final pitches of our latest class of start-ups. Events Management includes (but is not limited to) managing RSVPs, event locations, vendors, travel logistics, catering, A/V technology, and printed material.
- Scheduling & Air Traffic Control — Assist the Managing Partner as needed in scheduling meetings with entrepreneurs, investors, mentors, and media executives while diplomatically prioritizing conflicting needs and playing a gatekeeper role. Make sure the trains run on time.
- Supporting the Managing Partner and Associate as needed. Other tasks as needed.
Skills & Experience:
- Professional Experience—At least two years professional experience as an office manager, executive assistant, program coordinator, or equivalent operational/administrative role on a small team in a fast-paced environment. Experience coordinating communication with participants, stakeholders, and VIPs. Ready to hit the ground running and improve our processes with your experience. Previous design thinking, accelerator, start-up, venture capital, media innovation or event management experience a plus. Undergraduate degree required.
- Personal Characteristics — Extremely detail oriented and organized. Excellent interpersonal communicator both in-person and on-line. High EQ. Excited to apply a human-centered, prototype-driven approach to helping build Matter. Creative problem-solver with entrepreneurial drive and comfort with ambiguity. Passionate about our mission to support entrepreneurs building the future of media. No job below you and no job above you. Hungry to learn. Scrappy.
- Skills — Excellent writer and editor, including emails, blog posts, one-pagers, and presentations. Strong project and event management skills. Tech savvy and familiar with tools such as Slack, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Drive, Keynote, RelateIQ, Tallie, and Mac hardware and software. Confident ability to research, learn, and propose new tech tools and operational systems. Ability to capture and edit media a plus. Experience with accounting software such as QuickBooks or Xero a plus.
Salary based on experience and qualifications. We offer a competitive benefits package including health care, dental, vision, 401K with a 4% employer match, commuter benefits, and other perks.
This position will work full-time out of our innovation space near South Park in San Francisco. Some night and weekend work required. Occasional travel required.
Excited to join our team? We’d love to hear from you.
Part I — Fill out our Applicant Information Form right now.
Part II — Compose a cover letter describing why you are an excellent fit for this position. Compile your cover letter, resume, a writing sample, and 3 professional references into one pdf named “LastName_ FirstName.pdf” and email it to email@example.com with the subject “Office Manager.”
If you stand out to us we will follow up to learn more. We look forward to meeting you!
Originally posted on Medium.