One definition of an entrepreneur is that an entrepreneur acts on opportunity without regard to resources they currently control. Well, I have an opportunity for you to act on — We are hiring at Matter.
We are looking for a Storyteller to join our team to capture our stories, synthesize our insights, and share our tools so that we can expand the reach of our work beyond the four walls of our our start-up accelerator and seed fund and impact media entrepreneurs, innovators, and institutions around the globe.
If you love media, design thinking, and entrepreneurship, this is an opportunity to contribute and define insightful, unique content for the media-tech world.
We have a highly respected accelerator program, a community of smart, mission-driven entrepreneurs, and a culture of human-centered, prototype-driven design. There are a ton of potential stories waiting to be unleashed. That’s where you come in.
The Storyteller will take control of our content strategy, lead the editorial effort at Matter, produce written and video content, be responsible for our digital and social media presence and brand, research and synthesize industry trends and insights, and build our audience while measuring the impact of our content.
The timing couldn’t be better to make an impact.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Content Strategy — Develop, lead, and implement the content strategy for Matter and the operational strategy that supports it.
- Editorial Leadership & Support —Lead the editorial direction of our content. Support the Managing Partner and Associates in efficiently developing and producing thought leadership, unlocking their insights and stories. Leverage the Matter community to contribute content to our Medium collection by assigning story ideas, corralling contributors, and editing their content to help them put their best foot forward.
- Produce & Capture Content — Tell the story of Matter by regularly contributing writing to the Medium Collection, producing and editing videos, capturing photos and videos of Matter events and programming (such as our speaker series), and conducting interviews to capture stories and insights in the moment.
- Own Our Digital Presence — Own our digital presence and brand across our website, Medium Collection, newsletter, social media channels, investment platforms, video channels, and emerging media platforms. Ensure the space is filled, up to date, and maintains a steady pulse. Promote applications for the accelerator program.
- Research Trends — Research trends, curate industry news, interview experts and leaders, and synthesize insights to develop reports, presentations, and investment hypotheses for both internal and external audiences on where the media-tech world is going.
- Build Audience & Measure Impact — Establish a strategy to define and build our audience, a system to measure the impact of our content, and a process to regularly report on those metrics.
- Media Management — Establish an efficient workflow and ensure media assets are well-organized, backed-up, and easily accessible to the team. Manage media equipment.
- Support the Matter Team as needed. Other tasks as needed.
Skills & Experience:
- Professional Experience — At least two years of professional storytelling experience with an impressive portfolio of writing, videos, and photography. Experience as a researcher or analyst on industry trends is a plus. Previous journalism, documentary, content marketing, or community management experience a plus. Experience working on small, collaborative, scrappy teams in a fast-moving environment. Undergraduate degree required. Masters degree a plus.
- Skills — Must have excellent writing, editing, and storytelling skills and attention to detail. Ability to produce, shoot, and edit video as 1-person band while capturing high quality audio. Proficiently operate a DSLR camera for both photography and video. Ability to do research and conduct interviews with experts. Podcast production experience a plus. Tech savvy and familiar with a range of multimedia production tools and social media platforms, including Wordpress, MailChimp, Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut, Slack, Google Docs, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Medium, Instagram, SnapChat, Vine, Vimeo, etc. Basic web design and coding experience a plus. Familiarly with media analytics tools.
- Personal Characteristics — Lives and breathes storytelling. High EQ. Intellectual curiosity for design thinking, entrepreneurship, and the future of media. Creative problem-solver with entrepreneurial drive and comfort with ambiguity. No job below you and no job above you. Hungry to always be learning. Scrappy.
Salary based on experience and qualifications. We offer a competitive benefits package including health care, dental, vision, 401K with a 4% employer match, commuter benefits, and other perks.
This position will work full-time out of our innovation space near South Park in San Francisco. Some night and weekend work required. Occasional travel required.
Excited to join our team? We’d love to hear from you.
Part I — Fill out our Applicant Information Form right now.
Part II — Compose a cover letter describing why you are an excellent fit for this position. Compile your cover letter, resume, a portfolio of relevant work (or links to that work), and 3 professional references into one pdf named “LastName_ FirstName.pdf” and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Storyteller.”
If you stand out to us we will follow up to learn more. We look forward to meeting you!
Originally posted on Medium.