Today I am excited to reveal the 2021 Fellows for the Sulzberger Executive Leadership Program at Columbia Journalism School!
They have been invited to be Sulzberger Fellows because we believe they have the ability to shape the future of journalism and, therefore, the future of democracy - plain and simple. The journalism industry is under threat - politically, culturally, and economically. Now, more than ever, we need leaders who can guide journalism to a robust and sustainable future. We believe that these fellows will be those leaders.
Here are the 2021 Sulzberger Fellows:
- Ernesto Aguilar - Executive Director, National Federation of Community Broadcasters (Google News Initiative Scholarship)
- Lawrence Bartley - Director of News Inside, The Marshall Project (Google News Initiative Scholarship)
- Tracy Brown - Chief Content Officer, Chicago Public Media / WBEZ (Gordon Gray Jr. Scholarship)
- Claudio E. Cabrera - Deputy Audience Director, The New York Times
- Bene Cipolla - Publisher, Chalkbeat
- Anne Galloway - Founder & Executive Director, VTDigger
- Ha-Hoa Hamano - Principal Product Manager of NPR One Experience, NPR (Google News Initiative Scholarship)
- Charo Henríquez - Editor, Newsroom Development & Support, The New York Times
- Katie Hinman - Executive Producer, Special Programming, CNN
- Sean Jordan - Senior Manager, News & Live Content Partnerships, Hulu
- Christopher Kirkpatrick - Deputy Director, Content Development, Consumer Reports
- Samantha McCann - Chief Operating Officer, Solutions Journalism Network
- Akoto Ofori-Atta - Cofounder & Chief Audience Officer, Capital B (Google News Initiative Scholarship)
- Tina Pamintuan - General Manager, KALW Public Media (Gordon Gray Jr. Scholarship)
- Xanthe Scharff - Cofounder & CEO, The Fuller Project
- Moira Shourie - Executive Director, Zócalo Public Square
- Jermaine Spradley - Senior Vice-President, Vox Media
- Mary Margaret White - CEO,Mississippi Today
- Kimi Yoshino - Managing Editor, Los Angeles Times
Each of these fellows will use the 21 weeks of the program to accelerate a strategic project for their organization.
Let’s meet each 2021 Sulzberger Fellow and learn more about their projects:
The journey for the 2021 Sulzberger Fellows will begin on August 2 with two intensive weeks at Columbia Journalism School. They will then be supported virtually as they accelerate their projects over 18 weeks back at their organizations before returning for a final week at Columbia.
Want to be a Sulzberger Fellow? Applications are now open for the 2022 cohort, which will begin in January:
Application Deadline: Novembeer 1, 2021
Residency #1: January 10-21, 2022
Residency #2: May 23 - 27, 2022