Today I am excited to reveal the 2022 Fellows for the Sulzberger Executive Leadership Program at Columbia Journalism School!
They have been invited to be Sulzberger Fellows because we believe they have the ability to shape the future of journalism and, therefore, the future of democracy - plain and simple. The journalism industry is under threat - politically, culturally, and economically. Now, more than ever, we need leaders who can guide journalism to a robust and sustainable future. We believe that these fellows will be those leaders.
Here are the 2022 Sulzberger Fellows:
- Jay Allred - President, Richland Source
- Shameel Arafin - Chief Product Officer, The Venetoulis Institute for Local Journalism
- Kyra Darnton - President & Executive Producer, Retro Report
- Adeshina Emmanuel - Editor-in-Chief, Injustice Watch (Google News Initiative Scholarship)
- Tyson Evans - Senior Product Manager, The New York Times
- Rachel Fishman Feddersen - CEO & Publisher, the Forward
- Hidenaka Kato - Managing Director, Nikkei Europe Ltd., Nikkei Inc.
- Amy King - Creative Director & Deputy Managing Editor, Los Angeles Times
- Rafael Lama-Bonilla - Deputy Director & Managing Editor, El Nuevo Día / GFR Media (Google News Initiative Scholarship)
- Chad Lorenz - Editor-in-Chief, Votebeat, a project of Chalkbeat (American Journalism Project Sponsorship)
- Christiane Mack - Chief Content Operations Officer, Condé Nast
- Jody Mak - Senior Product Manager - Habit, The Atlantic
- Russell Midori - President & Founder, Military Veterans in Journalism (Knight Foundation Sponsorship)
- Shawn Mooring - Program Director, Lenfest Institute for Journalism
- Melissa Parsons - Executive Producer, Today All Day, NBC NEWS
- Garry Pierre-Pierre - Founder & Publisher, The Haitian Times (Google News Initiative Scholarship)
- Andrew Ramsammy - Chief Content & Collaboration Officer, Local Media Association (Knight Foundation Sponsorship)
- Monica Richardson - Executive Editor, Miami Herald/El Nuevo Herald & McClatchy Florida Regional Editor, McClatchy Co. (Google News Initiative Scholarship)
- Jason Saldanha - Chief of Business Development and Content, PRX
- Dalit Shalom - Lead Product Designer, The New York Times
- Freek Staps - Editor-in-Chief, ANP (Algemeen Nederlands Persbureau)
- Millie Tran - VP, Content Strategy & Growth, Condé Nast
- Elite Truong - Director of Strategic Initiatives, The Washington Post
- Jia Lynn Yang - National Editor, The New York Times
Each of these fellows will use the 21 weeks of the program to accelerate a strategic project for their organization.
I am excited to assemble such an accomplished group of leaders in journalism and honored to begin this journey with them to implement these strategic projects. I can’t wait to see how the intentional serendipity of bringing together these innovators will impact these leaders, their organizations, and the journalism industry as a whole.
Let’s meet each 2022 Sulzberger Fellow and learn more about their projects:
The journey for the 2022 Sulzberger Fellows will begin on January 3 with two intensive weeks at Columbia Journalism School. They will then be supported virtually as they accelerate their projects over 18 weeks back at their organizations before returning for a final week at Columbia on May 23.
Applications for the 2023 class are now open. To learn more visit: https://journalism.columbia.edu/sulzberger-executive-leadership-program.